[jcifs] NtlmPasswordAuthentication class not serializable

Greg Taylor Greg.Taylor at workbrain.com
Tue Dec 30 15:18:06 GMT 2003

I finally got back to this issue (almost 3 months later!)  Anyways, I made
NtlmPasswordAuthentication implement Serializable and did some testing.  For
our purposes, all we require after the initial authentication is that the
object exists in the session and we can get a user name out of it, so the
Serializable change was sufficient.  For problems with the hashes being
invalid once the object has been serialized, is it possible to make them
transient and reinitialize them if the object is serialized?  (i.e. check
for null?)  I don't fully understand the hashing issues, but this may be a
solution for all users.

We're using a hacked version of the jCIFS library now, but I hope we will
see a version in the future with any session objects implementing
Serializable.

Thanks,
Greg Taylor.