[jcifs] Cannot get jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter to work

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Dec 19 09:06:39 GMT 2003

> I always get an SmbAuthException whether I use
> jcifs.http.domainController or jcifs.smb.client.domain and
> jcifs.netbios.wins together (as shown in the example). The error
> returned is "Access denied" (thrown by SmbSession.logon).
>
> If I construct my own NtlmPasswordAuthentication with explicit
> domain/username/password and pass it to SmbSession.logon it works fine,
> so it appears to be a problem with the communication between browser and
> servlet, rather than between servlet and DC. I'm using IE6 on WinXP and
> the DC is running ActiveDirectory. My servlet is running on localhost
> and is shown as "Local intranet"

What Servelt container are you using? Which version of jCIFS are you using? Some Servlet
containers have a problem with NTLM HTTP authentication because the session must be
maintained for the exchange of the challenge and password hashes.

If you would really like to get to the bottom of what's happening quickly, get a packet
capture with NetMon, Ethereal, or tcpdump:

# tcpdump -w out.pcap -s 0 'port 139 || port 137'

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.