AW: [jcifs] NTLM Question?

Finkenzeller, Stefan Stefan.Finkenzeller at blb.de
Mon Aug 11 15:24:46 EST 2003

> > I am trying to use the NTLM authentication in jCIFS. I configured
> > "jcifs.http.domainController" to machine "foo". Using IE I send the user
> > domain as "bar" will valid user credentials. The authentication
succeeds.
> > Does this mean that domain controller "foo" is doing the authentication
on
> > behalf of domain "bar" for the supplied credentials.

> I'm not really sure actually. If the two domains are in a trust
> relationship they might replicate their SAM database or something like
> that. But for all I know cross domain replication might not happen at all
> in which case the user of domain bar will simply be authenticated by the
> domain controller for bar on behalf of the foo domain controller
> specified.

The SAM database will be only replicate to the domain controllers within a
domain. If a domain dom1 has a trust to domain dom2 then all domain
controllers of dom1 will create a security channel to any domain controller
of dom2. Well, if a user of domain dom2 will logon to a computer in domain
dom1
then the dom1 computer sends the user credentials to his domain controller
in
domain dom1. This domain controller forward the credentails (over the
security
channel) to his domain controller in domain dom2 which authenticate the
user.

Greets,
Stefan