[jcifs] NTLM authenticating in Java

Pugsley, Jason Jason.Pugsley at team.telstra.com
Tue Apr 8 13:43:34 EST 2003

Hello,

It seems that the next version of Java, currently in beta release, is adding some support for NTLM - albeit on Windows platforms only. From what I've been able to find, this may be intended for clients (applets) on Windows boxes trying to get out through Microsoft proxy servers and they need to use NTLM authentication. It would appear to fill a need along the lines of the Apache Commons HttpClient code.

It might be worth watching in case it develops into something interesting. There may eventually be APIs that jCIFS could adhere to.

This document speaks of a Java property (http.auth.ntlm.domain) that jCIFS could use as a last resort when trying to figure out the domain name.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/net/properties.html#ntlm

Here's the bug that seems to have started the ball rolling. You need a JDC login to view it.
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4626557.html

I read this list often but rarely write in - I'd just like to say to the developers thanks for all of your effort, it's very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jason.