[jcifs] What will happen after wins server restart?

Michael B.Allen Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Tue Apr 8 13:13:19 EST 2003

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:36:33 -0400
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> There could be a problem with jCIFS' name cache, but I'd have to ask
> Mike about that.  It's only a wild guess on my part.

Names are cached for jcifs.netbios.cachePolicy seconds but I don't see
why that would present a problem. In fact it should help the client get by
while the server is being bounced. Although, if the jCIFS client attempts
to contact the WINS server while it's down, there will be no answer
to the SYN packet and the client will hang for probably ~1 minute. As
usual, if we had a packet capture of the whole thing transpiring we
could probably see what's happening. Actually jCIFS really should have
a secondary WINS property. That would probably help in this case.