[jcifs] Java implementation of server

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sun Oct 6 11:36:38 EST 2002

Serge Knystautas wrote:

> Well, basically I want to have a virtual file system exposed to people
> over smb/cifs.  Mind you this is mostly theoretical and just stuff to do
> as a hobby for now.  I've got a content management system that I'd like
> to let our employees browse, and while webfolders are now available and
> let me do that, it would be even nicer (in my opinion) if we could just
> browse them with cifs shares.  More recently, I've been thinking about a
> backup system. As a feature of the retrieval process, there would be
> these dynamic read-only shares, and when you browse to that share, some
> java code would run to decompress, unencrypt, and reconstruct a bunch of
> deltas to make the complete file that was backed up.
>
> Anyway, but in a nutshell, let me use java code to serve virtual folders
> and files.

Ah.  I understand now.  Yes, that is a worth-while type of thing to try to
do.

People are currently doing similar things with Samba's VFS layer.  There is
one person who has written a VFS module that talks to MySQL.  Kewl.  It
seems to me that:

1) It should be possible to write a VFS layer that takes plug-ins of
   some-sort to do the kind of thing you're talking about.

2) That there are enough people interested in the idea of a Java-based
   CIFS server that it might be worth putting together a project.  Such
   a thing would need some organizing.  Let me know what you think.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org