[jcifs] 0.7.0 release schedule

Matthew Tippett matthew.tippett at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 23 00:21:42 EST 2002

This comes down to more of an education issue.

Find out what there concerns about beta software.  Most likely  their
primary concerns would be the lack of support and the tag beta is
associated with untested code.  This is true with tradition proprietary
code, but...

	o Michael does more than a valiant effort of support.  Turnaround time
within days.
	o Michael is stubbornly waiting until there are no known bugs before he
*NAMES* it 0.7.0.  This is a good thing becuase of integrity, but the
contrast to proprietary systems is more of a 'we will go ahead with
these known bugs'.

Be careful about painting all applications with the same brush.  Version
names are purely a tag that represents the business' view of what state
the application is.  Michael could just as easily name it JCIFS-20021120
without the beta tag and that would make no difference to the quality of
the usability of the code.

Most proprietary code ships with bugs, Michael is holding back shipping
(or naming) 0.7.0 until he has no *KNOWN* bugs.

Matt 'Has gone through naming games too many times' Tippett

--
Matthew Tippett - matthew.tippett at sympatico.ca - (416) 435-4118
Technology Forum - http://www.technology-forum.org/