[jcifs] Some things about listing shares...

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 19 18:36:55 EST 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:58:24 -0600
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> I'm playing with 0.7.0b8 (as I ought).
>
> I aimed a share query at a node on a remote subnet, like so:
>
>   $ java List smb://192.168.8.7/
>
> ...and got back an SmbAuthException.  Not surprising, but here's what I
> noticed...
>
> 1) The NBT Session Request and the SMB NegProt both work fine.  The first
>    SessionSetupAndX, however, tries to log in as GUEST with a primary
>    domain of "?".  The response is an error message.  I get:
>
>      Error Class: Server Error (0x02)
>      Error Code:  Unknown SRV error (0x8bf)
>
>    I've done as much digging as I can, and I can't figure out what that
>    error code might be.

8bf = 2239 and net helpmsg says its "The user account has expired"
but I'm not sure that makes a whole lot of sense.

> 2) jCIFS tries again, this time trying to log on as the 'anonymous' user.
>    The login and tree connect succeed, but then the Windows box
>    (OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN Manager 4.0]) returns an Access
>    Denied.  That accounts for the SmbAuthException.
>
> 3) The type of query that we are sending is not the same as the type of
>    query that an NT or W2K client sends when querying a W2K server (and
>    possibly others).  jCIFS uses the same transaction as smbclient, but
>    smbclient (and W98, in my tests) never see share names longer than 12
>    or 13 charcters.

Niether can jCIFS. This is a limitation in the NetShareEnum RAP function.

>    It appears that there must be a newer transaction (or
>    RPC... I haven't checked), used by NT and beyond, that provides more
>    complete information.

Yes it uses the NetrShareEnum p104 in Lukes book. This is probably the
#1 reason to get RPC going.

--
A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are