[jcifs] no chance to run jcifs_0.7.0b7

Matthew Tippett matthew at casero.com
Tue Nov 12 07:55:53 EST 2002

Instead of making this a FAQ, we can detect it at runtime

See

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/applet/practical/properties.html

in particular the java.version System property.  In which case we can
throw a runtime exception or similar.

Regards,

Matthew

Michael B. Allen wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:56:04 +0100
> andrea.lanza at frameweb.it wrote:
>

>>then I followed debugging the source of jcifs.smb.Handler.: I reached
again
>>the last line
>>
>> setURL( u, "smb://", u.getHost(), getDefaultPort(),
>>                    u.getAuthority(), u.getUserInfo(),
>>                    u.getPath(), u.getQuery(), u.getRef() );
>>
>>So I discovered that my NoSuchMethodError depends on u.getAuthority()
>>method that does not exists.
>>But also other elements do not exist ( u.getAuthority(),
u.getUserInfo(),
>>u.getPath(), u.getQuery()) !
>>Besides, setURL method is not implemented, so I think it comes from
>>URLStreamHandler. But the method from the lattest class accept only 6
>>argouments, not 9 !
>

> Oooooohhhhhhhhh. You're using Java 1.1. The reason why I didn't use
> java.net.URL from the beginning was because Java 1.1 was missing
critical
> URL parsing functionality. So I wrote my own parsing funcitons. Prior
> to jcifs-0.7.0b4 we supported Java 1.1. This is no longer true. There
> was a very small debate about this and no one seemed to be concerned
so
> we made the leap to the Java 2 java.net.URL. After checking
CHANGES.txt
> it does not appear that I meantioned this anywhere. There were so many
> other changes it just slipped my mind. We don't see a lot of Java 1
> users anymore.
>
> Sorry, but there's nothing you can do about this. You'll have to use
> jcifs-0.7.0b3 or less. I believe you said you're just trying to write
> "browser servlet"? 0.6.7 should work just fine for that. There are a
> few URL bugs (hence the changes and Java 2 requirement) but nothing
you
> couldn't work around I think. See the Sept 26 news bullet for details.

-----

The information contained in this message is proprietary of Casero Inc.,
protected from disclosure, and may be privileged. The information is
intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s) of the
message. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, use, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer. Thank you.