[jcifs] Need some suggestions on the problem I am facing...

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Fri May 24 05:10:39 EST 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002 11:00:53 -0700
"Michael Dunston" <michael.dunston at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> 	I am new to the list..  So far I have found jcifs to be a great tool to
> integrate within the many tools that I maintain and work with on multiple
> platforms...  However, in the process of integrating the jcifs URL handler

Be careful with terminology. There is an SMB URL protocol handler used with
java.net.URL  and  then there's SmbFile and SmbXxxputStreams. I suspect you
are not using the "URL handler".

> into Oracle9i JDeveloper (as an extension) I receive the following exception
> as soon as i attempt to browse an smb:// url:
>
> Attempting to list elements in: smb://system/share
> May 23 10:57:14.661 - exception reading from socket input
> java.net.SocketException: Descriptor not a socket: JVM_recv in socket input
> stream read
>         int java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(byte[], int, int)
>                 native code
>         int java.net.SocketInputStream.read(byte[], int, int)
>                 SocketInputStream.java:90
>         int

I  don't  think  this  has  anything  to do with jCIFS. This looks like the
JDeveloper  extensions  mechanism  is  making  assumtions  about the Socket
implementation.  Or something is being initialized out of order. JCIFS uses
NbtSocket  which  extends  java.net.Socket  which  will  use the SocketImpl
provided  by  the  runtime  environment. This is totally standard but maybe
it's  something  the  JDeveloper  guys didn't consider (just a wild guess).
What  VM  is being used? Is there any chance you could buzz your JDeveloper
people?  I'm  not really sure how to proceed otherwise but I'll think about
it a little more.

Mike

--
May The Source be with you.