[jcifs] Unable to list all servers in a workgroup

Christopher R.Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Mar 18 10:21:46 EST 2002

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 02:37:05PM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 22:49:27 +1000
> "510" <510 at optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before..
> > I'm trying to list all servers in a workgroup, but for some reason it
> > only finds one server, and misses the rest.

Typically that means that the local browse list only has one server.

> > I.e. -> I can list my shares (smb://jeff), but smb://workgroup won't
> > list my computer.

Pardon this question but wierd things happen...  When you say you are
entering "smb://workgroup", do you mean:

 - "workgroup" is the actual name of the workgroup you are using?
 - You have a different workgroup name and this is just a generic
   explanation?

If you literally enter "workgroup" and that workgroup doesn't exist (or
has only one member) then you're getting correct results.

> > I've tried changing the resolveOrder ( jcifs.util.Config.setProperty(
> > "resolveOrder", "BCAST" ); ) to a variety of combinations, but that
> > won't work either.

Probably won't make a difference.  Workgroup names need to be resolved
using a broadcast query.

> > I've also tried using the List example in the examples, so it's not in
> > my code somewhere..

I assume this gives you the same results.

> > Its only a simple LAN with 4 computers (all running windows XP), with
> > addresses assigned by DHCP.
> > Any ideas?

What do you see in the "Network Neighborhood" (aka. "My Network Places")?

> I'd love to help you but provided you're using the latest version of the
> software we're pretty confident that it actually works. So I'm equally
> confident that your problem is a simple LAN configuration issue. I would
> examine your network more closely for general NetBIOS issues. See the
> FAQ for additional diagnostics.

I have to agree with Mike.  Time to take a closer look at the LAN config.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org