[jcifs] SMB URL

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Jul 9 14:06:28 EST 2002

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 11:32:32PM -0400, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:
:
> > How do people feel about that solution?
>
>       If it works in practice then I'm ok with this but I would have to
>       write some code and try it out first. There might be issues with
>       URL decoding/encoding. Remember when the SMB URL handling in jCIFS
>       was messed up and we kept going around in circles decoding and
>       encoding the URLs as they were passed in, out, and internally?

I remember.  :)

Basically, though, the URL syntax takes precedence and nothing should be
un-escaped until the URL has been parsed.

So, the way I see it, if you have:

  smb://foo%2Ebar.what.snu.com/share

It would become:

  NetBIOS Name = "foo%2Ebar"
      Scope ID = "what.snu.com"
         Share = "share"

...and then you would convert the %2E into a dot.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org