[jcifs] named pipes like with mkfifo

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Thu Jan 24 11:04:22 EST 2002

	Ah, yes, you're correct. Anonymous Named Pipes are for child parent communication.

> and here's the problem with sockets: I need any old Windows program that would
> like to take a file for an output source to be tricked into instead writing to a
> pipe so I can read it and do stuff with what it is writing there. Now I still
> hold out hope for tricking the average program into writing to named pipe, but
> how on earth would i get it to write to a socket if all i have is user access to
> the executable?

	I think you can do this. As a simple test use the createnp.exe program to create
	a local named pipe called 'foo'. I think you can just use the default arguments like:

	c:\> createnp \\.\foo

	Then specify \\.\pipe\foo or perhaps \\.\foo with the program you're trying to trick and
	basically explore this route.

	Also, the Named Pipes link in the pipes.html document did change recently but it was
	updated. Link through the API docuementation on our site.

	You might also try a Win32 programming news group. I don't really know much about
	using Named Pipes like this and it really doesn't have anything to do with jCIFS.