[jcifs] named pipes like with mkfifo

Michael B Allen mballen at erols.com
Thu Jan 24 07:24:37 EST 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:58:57 -0600
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> Brett,
>
> One source of info might be Luke Leighton's book "DCE/RPC over SMB".  I
> think Luke goes into named pipes in the book.
>
> ISBN 1-57870-150-3, Published by Macmillan Technical Publishing.

Not really. Pipes are mearly transport for RPC PDUs.

Brett,

See the Named Pipes documentation here:
http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/pipes.html. Follow the MS link to their
API docs and look into Anonymous Named Pipes. They don't work like UNIX
named pipes though. You have to use a Pipe call and you cannot do stuff
like redirect IO with '|' in the shell. Also, I bet you 5 beans you
don't want to use named pipes. You should be using sockets.

May The Source be with you.