[Fwd: Re: [jcifs] CIFS specs used for developing JCIFS]

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Jan 14 09:33:57 EST 2002

"PALANIVEL,PRABHAKAR (HP-India,ex2)" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Could you please send the CIFS specs used for JCIFS. I saw
> the specs  in SNIA. But there are a few things which are left out and
> also the formats for some calls differ.

Prabhakar,

We do this by reverse-engineering the protocols, and by exchanging
information on this list, the Samba-Technical list, the Samba-TNG list, and
the CIFS mailing list run by Microsoft.  There is also a conference once a
year--we all get together and whine about how annoying this work is.

There *ARE NO* specifications for CIFS beyond what you have already seen.
Really.  I promise.

CIFS is a Microsoft protocol suite.  It is nothing like NFS.  There are no
committees verifying changes to the protocols, no public comment, nothing.
Working with CIFS is ugly and painful and annoying and frustrating and it
makes you grow a horn on your knee and fuzzy rings of green fuzz around your
elbows.  And your nose will twist to the left.

Note, by the way, that many of the Samba Team members currently have
consulting positions at HP.  HP is a great supporter of Samba (as are many
other large companies including SGI, IBM, etc.).

Anyway, if you have specific questions you can ask them here, but the CIFS
list is probably the better place for such questions.  People in the CIFS
community tend to be very busy people, so be patient about getting answers.