[jcifs] Re: SMB URL encoding/decoding

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.org
Sun Feb 24 15:50:02 EST 2002

James Nord wrote:
:
> And so jcifs SMB URL is not in sync with the SMB url draft
> (draft-crhertel-smb-url-02.txt)
>
> I think me and Chris have been talking about the latter and you the
> former...

This is that theory/practice spectrum thing again.  It is vital that
people try implementing the SMB URL and provide feedback from practice.
Theory is useless if it doesn't work, but necessary to provide the
architecture for implementing the real thing.

The draft needs a lot of revision by the way (and a lot of it came from
Mike).  ...and I'm going to the IETF meeting *next month*.  ouch ouch
ouch.  Work to do...

'@'s are allowed in path names, since the <pchar> syntax permits them.

> >But if URL
> >encoding the password ok with everyone then we can do that.
> >
> IMHO this is definatly the way to go.  Although you then have to
> urlencode/decode in places I think the SmbURL class should be a lot more
> streamlined because of it.

Look through the BNF grammar in the URL RFC.  It shows where URL encoding
will be necessary.

As I said, many implementations are forgiving and there's no reason not to
be forgiving when jCIFS *reads* a URL string...if it can be.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org