[jcifs] win XP vs win 2000

Ian Charnas icc at po.cwru.edu
Thu Feb 21 22:52:56 EST 2002

I believe so. Try the following:
smbclient -L //computer
(replace "computer" with the name of a windows XP computer on your
network)
In the first few lines of output, it should tell you (to a certain degree
of accuracy) which Operating System the server is running.

We are happy to help, though you may wish to direct samba-specific
questions to the samba mailing list. This is a mailing list for a Java
implementation of the "windows networking" protocol which microsoft boldly
called CIFS, the common internet file system. Samba is a C implementation
of the same thing, and their mailing list can be found on their website --
http://www.samba.org

Hope this helps,
-Ian Charnas