[jcifs] no name with type 0x00 with no scope for host

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Wed Feb 20 16:52:07 EST 2002

	I meant getAllByAddress. There is no getAllByName. Just a typo.

> In any case, the error message is somewhat confusing since the suffix
> byte is not significant when doing a NODE STATUS REQUEST using the
> wildcard name.  It is "okay" that no name with type 0x00 was found.  The
> other node might have an 0x20 and an 0x03 name or other names.

	You're knowlege of the protocol is getting in your way. All the query says is "I'm
	looking for a name with type 0x00 at host 10.0.100.114 without scope". That's it.
	The response in this case was "Nope, no name with type 0x00 at 10.0.100.114
	without scope, sorry".

> I think this is why I got spun off on the whole "WindowsXP doesn't
> register the 0x00 name" tangent.  From the error message, I thought that the
> code was actually, really, truly looking for an 0x00 name.

	It is. It does a NODE_STATUS_REQUEST using the wild card "*\0\0\0\0\0..." name
	with a hex code of 0x00 and type of NBSTAT to port 137 of the specified IP. If no
	response comes back you get:

	UnknownHostException: no name with type 0x00 with no scope for host 10.0.100.114

	What's the problem?