[jcifs] no name with type 0x00 with no scope for host

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.org
Wed Feb 20 11:49:47 EST 2002

"Allen, Michael B (RSCH)" wrote:

> You're either a) trying to use NbtAddress.getHostName to retreive the
> name of a machine by it's IP address which apparently is not supported
> by XP according to Chris

I must have missed explaining the bit about the wildcard name early on.
Either that or I had it wrong early on and messed things up.

I do have it in correctly my docs, though (Section 3.3.1.6).  Check a
trace of either nbtstat or nmblookup doing an NODE STATUS REQUEST.  If you
use the -A option with either of these tools you will see that it uses the
wildcard address.  If you use 'nbtstat -a <name>' or 'nmblookup -S <name>'
then the given <name> will be used.

Empirically, most Windows boxes *do* register the <00>, so that typically
works.  XP caught me by surprise as well.

> or b) You're using jcifs-0.5.1 which is rather
> clumsey about making initial connections and jcifs-0.6b9 will probably
> solve this problem for you.
>
> The jcifs-0.6b9 product is very stable. I'm working on docs as we speak
> and will be releasing it renamed to 0.6.0 RSN.

Kewl.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org