FW: [jcifs] Problem reading from named pipe

Michael B Allen mballen at erols.com
Fri Feb 15 07:36:49 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:54:15 -0800
Sean Ryan <sryan at clear-tec.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Thanks for your help.  I think the speed is more of an issue with the server
> than the client, as I tried sending the same data with the callnp.exe
> utility and it's still slow, as it is when using the Win32 client from the
> code supplied by the vendor.  The only issue I'm having now it trying to get
> multiple clients to access the server at the same time without screwing up.
> Using the example client code provided by the vendor it seems to work fine -
> adding a loop to the code to run the request/response code 10 times, and
> then running a number of the clients at the same time.  But when I try the
> same in Java, some of the clients end up blocking on reading the response.
> It works if I serialize access to a single pipe, but aparently it is
> supposed to work without doing that.

I think you want to look into this "Overlapping" asynchronous IO business
in that Win32 example from your vendor:

    hEventWrt = CreateEvent(NULL, TRUE, FALSE, NULL);
    memset(&OverLapWrt, 0, sizeof(OverLapWrt));
    OverLapWrt.hEvent = hEventWrt;

    hEventRd = CreateEvent(NULL, TRUE, FALSE, NULL);
    memset(&OverLapRd, 0, sizeof(OverLapRd));
    OverLapRd.hEvent = hEventRd;

    memset(TranBuf, 0, sizeof(TranBuf));
    memset(RespBuf, 0, sizeof(RespBuf));

    strcpy(TranBuf, TRAN_RECORD);

    /* Write to the pipe. */
    printf("Writing transaction: %s\n", TranBuf);

    retCode = WriteFile(hPipe, TranBuf, strlen(TranBuf), &bytesWritten, &OverLapWrt);

I you *really* wanted to you could simulate what this is doing. But it
might mean looking at packet traces and wading through hexdumps...etc.

Glad to hear it's working for you though,

Mike