FW: [jcifs] Problem reading from named pipe

Michael B Allen mballen at erols.com
Thu Feb 14 18:56:52 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:22:04 -0800
Sean Ryan <sryan at clear-tec.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I changed my code to the following, and I do not get exceptions any more (it
> is a bit slow though) :

How slow? Pipes are not really fast. You should be able to at few dozen
trasactions a second though. I don't really know. You would have to
use a packet sniffer to see what's happening. There could be something
timing out.

> 	try {
> 		SmbNamedPipe pipe =
> 			new SmbNamedPipe(
>
> "smb://ryan:yo@hammerhead/IPC$/pipe/transactions",
> 				SmbNamedPipe.PIPE_TYPE_RDWR | SmbNamedPipe.PIPE_TYPE_CALL);
<snip>

> So I guess it IS a transaction based pipe, although the Win32 client code
> would seem to indicate otherwise.  The reason I tried this was because the
> callnp.exe utility worked (kind of) with my pipe, and the createnp.exe
> didn't.

createnp.exe creates a server process.

> If you're able to explain this to me I'd appreciate it.

Well, I think you've figured it out. It would really be worth while to
ensure that their Win32 example looks like your jCIFS code on the wire
by snooping it with NetMon or Ethereal. You might ask the vender to give
you jCIFS blessings too.