[jcifs] Some shares are not reported by jCIFS

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Tue Dec 31 06:30:15 EST 2002

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:02:25 -0500
"Matthew Tippett" <matthew at casero.com> wrote:

> We have seen problems with shares longer than 12 characters (8+3+'.' -
> Hmmm), check that.  It looks like XP has extended the name of shares
> without necessarily making it broadly known.

The NetShareEnum RAP function only supports 13 8 bit characters. Longer
Unicode names may be retrieved with the analogous DCE/RPC function
however we do not support that at this time. XP may be using DCE/RPC
functions exclusively although I'm not sure what you're referring to
Matt. For Solaris, I suppose the server is ASU or Samba in which case
I do not know why some shares would not be returned. It could be the
same reason as above or something else. We would need a packet capture
to know definitively.

--
A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are