[jcifs] ServerEnum2 Problems on smb:// scan

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Mon Dec 2 11:10:03 EST 2002

	Are the test machines under your control? Perhaps one is returning a garbage
	domain name or is set to use some strange character encoding? This doesn't sound
	like a platform dependant issue. It is more likely that a particular machine or a
	particular alignment of machines is triggering the issue. For example, if the
	NetServerEnum2 that lists all domains was decoding the domain names improperly
	it could be the source of the corrupted domain name. Basically you need to find out
	where that garbage domain name is coming from ultimately. Is it being returned by
	one of the test machines or is it an atrifact of a bug in jCIFS?

> Unfortunately, on Friday I spent the better part of a day trying to
> repeat it across all platforms, but I couldn't repeat it.
>
> The code change that we did do was start closing properly all
> connections when we would open.  The problem doesn't happen anymore :(

	That's a costly bandaid. Nothing more. I advise that you track down the real source
	of the problem.