[jcifs] What to do about spammers...

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Dec 13 11:43:25 EST 2001

James Nord wrote:
:
> Depends how much access you have to the mail server..

I don't run it, but I know who does.  There are anti-spam filters, but
they're not perfect.  Some stuff just gets through...

> One thing I've noticed is that a lot (not all) of my spam comes from
> hosts which do not have a reverse DNS name mapping.
> You could bounce mail from servers which do not have this mapping?  -
> Not sure how much legit mail this would block

Mine, unfortunately.  My ISP is a big company with about as many competent
people as the little local companies.  Ouch.  They don't seem to know how to
do reverse maps.  Sigh.

> Otherwise it could always be a moderated list - which would require
> several volunteers and would increase lag, but as it stands at least
> jCifs is a low volume list.
> I would be happy to help here if needed.

Might be easier to do members-only-may-post, but I don't like that much
either.

> I don't know if the list software supports it but you may be able to
> make it non-moderated for members but non-members posts get moderated.
> (or is that the same as setting everyone who is a member to a moderator?)

Interesting idea.

> Just some late night thoughts...

Thanks!

Chris -)-----