[jcifs] What to do about spammers...

James Nord teilo at teilo.net
Thu Dec 13 11:15:19 EST 2001

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

>I really don't want to make this list an only-members-may-post list, but it
>may come to that.
>
>Ideas?  (Other than gluing "John McCuullen"'s knees to an angry walrus.)

Depends how much access you have to the mail server..

One thing I've noticed is that a lot (not all) of my spam comes from
hosts which do not have a reverse DNS name mapping.
You could bounce mail from servers which do not have this mapping?  -
Not sure how much legit mail this would block

Otherwise it could always be a moderated list - which would require
several volunteers and would increase lag, but as it stands at least
jCifs is a low volume list.
I would be happy to help here if needed.

I don't know if the list software supports it but you may be able to
make it non-moderated for members but non-members posts get moderated.
(or is that the same as setting everyone who is a member to a moderator?)

Just some late night thoughts...

/James