[distcc] Slower binary when using distcc?

Ihar Filipau thephilips at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 18:49:55 UTC 2019

On 9/12/19, Shawn Landden via distcc <distcc at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 1:10 PM Christer Solskogen via distcc
> <distcc at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>> If I compile Amiberry on the pi itself the benchmark scene is done in 4m
>> 34s, if using distcc I get 5m 29sec. Almost a minute slower.
>>
>> The only difference is distcc. I have the same CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS on both.
>> Am I doing anything wrong?
>
> Are you absolutely sure that the version of gcc is the same on both
> machines?
>
> That is really the ONLY (and likely) reason I can see for this.

Another reason I can think of: when gcc runs natively, IIRC it might
optimize for the current CPU; when running in cross compile mode, it
optimizes for a generic CPU.

Check the '-mcpu'/'-march'/etc options. They might need to be
specified manually.

P.S. I don't remember whether the trick works, but take the command
lines which are run on both systems, and run them manually with '-v'
to see what options 'gcc' passes to the 'cc1'(?) backend.