[distcc] Improving the man pages

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Fri May 10 21:58:10 MDT 2013

Hello

Attached is a first pass at improving the source of distcc(1).  At this
point I am only addressing typographical and syntax issues, such as "-"
vs. "\-" [1], preventing inappropriate hyphenation, consistent
formatting and use of man page conventions, and general readability of
the source.

There are a couple of TODO markers still, and I will make a final pass
to fully apply conventions such as command names in bold and program
suites in italics (underline).

After that I will perform similar work on the other man pages.

I have only tested the result on Debian Sid which is GNU troff 1.22.2.
Feedback as to whether it renders correctly on other systems is
appreciated.

Also, these files do not contain any Copyright notice or license notice.
It is practical to include a source comment at the top like this:

  .ig
  Copyright (C) AUTHOR

  LICENCE BOILERPLATE
  ..

which I will do, but am not sure about the intended license.  It seems
that these files _may_ have been produced from an earlier SGML version
which was GNU Free Documentation License.  Is that the preferred license
for the man pages?

Regards