[distcc] distcc: licensing of files contributed by Alexandre Oliva

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Sun May 5 23:52:43 MDT 2013

Greetings

The Free Software Foundation holds copyright over these two files in
distcc that have unclear licensing terms:

- contrib/distcc-absolutify
- contrib/netpwd

The notice in both files is:
> Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation
> by Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com>
>
> This script is Free Software, and it can be copied, distributed and
> modified as defined in the GNU General Public License.  A copy of
> its license can be downloaded from http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

The page at that URI is updated to refer to the most recently published
version of the GNU GPL.  At the time of copyright that was version 2.

I suspect the intent of this notice was to distribute these files under
GPLv2+, as per the majority of the distcc source.  Could someone,
perhaps the copyright holder or contributor, care to clarify the
license?  These notices should be replaced with the standard text so the
intent is clear.

Both files are very short:

<http://code.google.com/p/distcc/source/browse/trunk/contrib/distcc-absolutify>
<http://code.google.com/p/distcc/source/browse/trunk/contrib/netpwd>