[distcc] "failed to exec: No such file or directory" error

Fergus Henderson fergus at google.com
Wed Sep 5 03:20:43 MDT 2012

You're right that setting DISTCCD_PATH will overwrite PATH as far as
distccd is concerned.
But are you setting DISTCCD_PATH before starting distccd?
How are you starting distccd -- manually, or via a system service?

The error message from dcc_execvp comes after executing execvp() failed.
execvp() is a system call which just executes the named executable,
in this case "i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc", from the PATH.
So at the point where the error occurs, the PATH definitely does not
contain an "i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc" program that can be executed.
And distccd will indeed set PATH from DISTCCD_PATH.

Is this perhaps a permissions error? If the distccd program is running as
user "distcc", and i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc is a symbolic link to a file in a
directory that the "distcc" user doesn't have permission to access, that
might explain it.

--
Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com>

"Defend the user, exclude no one, and create magic." -- Eric Schmidt.