[distcc] Problem with distcc under Suse‏

Fergus Henderson fergus at google.com
Mon Feb 6 10:53:09 MST 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Black Sirius <black_sirius at hotmail.de>wrote:

>  @fergus
> >At distcc.org the issues list has an issue for this which has a proposed
> patch attached (search the issues list for "python 2.7"). It needs testing.
> Please test the patch.
>

> I have test your patch and it works fine! i also commented that issue.

Thanks.  I submitted the fix.

> >As Martin said, the --allow flag takes an inet address not a filename.
> >The init script may have shell commands for converting a file to a
> sequence of --allow flags to use to invoke distccd.
>

> year you're right. i have change it to my subnet and the daemon started.
>

> @Martin: here is the error code i get from make:
>

> "src/dotd.c: In function ‘dcc_get_dotd_info’:
> src/dotd.c:173:9: error: variable ‘ret’ set but not used
> [-Werror=unused-but-set-variable]
> cc1: all warnings being treated as errors"

I've submitted a fix for that one too.

> So, I have installed distcc successfully and wan't to make a compile test.
> but there is my next problem.
>

> That's my configuration:
>
> Server x.x.177.81 "distccserver"
>
> Client x.x.177.86 "linuxclient3"
>
> The PCs are not similar and ping is ok
>

> Server-config: /etc/distcc/hosts "linuxclient3"
>

> I start the server with: "distccd --daemon --allow 'x.x.0.0/16'"
> I set the DISTCC_VERBOSE=1
>

> I start the server with: "distccd --daemon --allow 'x.x.0.0/16'"
> I set the DISTCC_VERBOSE=1
>

> Client-config: same "localhost distccserver"
> Set DISTCC_HOSTS="distccserver"
>
> and start the make with: make -j8 CC=distcc (on server)
> but i only receive this error-message: "distcc[2290] (dcc_build_somewhere)
> Warning: failed to distribute, running locally instead"

That's not an _error_ message, that's a _warning_.

It is probably preceded by another message from distcc explaining why.

It is quite likely that you will get this warning for the final link
command -- distcc won't distributed link commands.
But if distcc is distributing the compile commands that precede the final
link command, everything may be working fine.

> and i can't find the log file...
> 1. Are there steps i forgot or i have to do before I can make without
> errors ?
> 2. how can i look into the log file (install path not changed)

I'd start with looking at the full output from make, which should include
messages from the distcc client.

The distccd daemon log messages by default go to syslog, which in turn will
typically save them in one of /var/log/syslog, or /var/log/messages, or
maybe /var/log/distccd.log.  You can use the --log_file <filename> option
to distccd to save the logs to a particular file.

--
Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com>

"Defend the user, exclude no one, and create magic." -- Eric Schmidt.