[distcc] Compiling kernel

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Apr 28 17:26:16 MDT 2011

Hi Michael,

distcc certainly used to work with the kernel.  I guess the use of -xc
may be a new addition upstream if nothing gets compiled at all.  It
would be possible to teach distcc how to handle -x, it's just not done
yet.

This command you quote seems to be saying "please compile, as C, the
contents of /dev/null."  I guess it is doing this as some kind of
configuration test of the compiler and this command is not typical of
the actual compiler invocations.  If you see just one of these, it's
harmless.  If every command is failing this way, post an example where
it's trying to build actual C code.