[distcc] Issue #36 patch

Jeremy Murphy jeremy.william.murphy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 19:42:29 MDT 2010

On 10 September 2010 18:11, Jeremy Murphy
<jeremy.william.murphy at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 10 September 2010 05:53, Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Jeremy Murphy <
>> jeremy.william.murphy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> have you had a chance to look at the patch I submitted for issue #36 (distcc-mon-gnome
>>> displays multiple rows for same host/slot)?  Any thoughts?  Cheers.
>>>

>> I've had a brief glance, but the only thing I learned from that is that
>> this is a tricky issue and that a brief glance won't suffice.
>>

> Although my patch touches a lot of files, it essentially makes the same few
> changes to a number of locations.
> It's more complex than cheepero's patch because I didn't want to clobber
> any data that might be useful.
>

> Did you see cheepero's response, with his patch?
>> Can you comment on his patch?
>>

> A simpler patch such as cheepero's would be ideal, however, I just tested
> it and it actually made things worse.  I'll get in touch directly with them
> to convey the details.  Cheers.

After some discussion, cheepero agrees that my patch is the better idea.
Someone else from Gentoo has tested it with success too.  I have uploaded an
updated, tidier patch, so I would encourage everyone to test it out.  It
doesn't affect anything other than state files, so there is minimal risk
involved.

A related thought: might it be worth merging the lock and state mechanisms
so that it is simpler and, presumably, faster?  I can understand that you
might want to keep locking as simple as possible though since it is so
crucial.  Cheers.

Jeremy