[distcc] distcc and qemu-arm, happy together?

someone at boldandbusted.com someone at boldandbusted.com
Sun Sep 5 21:17:52 MDT 2010

Howdy. I've been using distcc to spread my compile work across hosts for
many years. However, now I'm branching into a different architecture for
fun (ARM from x86). I'm using qemu-user, via some chroot and binfmt
magic, to facilitate cross-compiling from an x86 box. When distcc is run
under qemu-arm (with several distcc hosts configured), qemu always
complains:

"qemu: Unsupported syscall: 187"

when distcc runs. Now, of course I understand that this is a real
edge-case usage of distcc and that the real problem is within qemu, not
distcc. However, when distcc encounters this error (something to do with
socket support), does it actually abort remote compiles and return the
compile to localhost? If so, is there some way I can make distcc ignore
these errors (it does seem to be farming compile requests out, but
perhaps at a lower rate?) Or, is there a better way to configure distcc
such that it doesn't use this "unsupported" method of communication when
distributing jobs?

Thanks for distcc! :) (please reply to the list, thanks)

Cheers,
Jesse Adelman
San Francisco, CA