[distcc] random make Error 5

Paul Eipper lkraider at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 14:16:23 MDT 2009

Hi,

we are running distcc for cross-compilation, it works fine sometimes,
but apparently randomly we get an error like this:

make: *** [DrawContext.o] Error 5
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

when inspecting the DrawContext.o file, it's a gzipped file containing
the object code. Somehow distcc failed to unzip it or something, and
the build fails.

More about our setup:

We have /home mounted from NFS, and DISTCC_DIR is set to tmpfs (each
user has their own dir there). The cross-compilation toolchain is
mounted from NFS too. Here's the env setup:

CCACHE_DIR=/var/cache/ccache
CCACHE_NOLINK=1
CCACHE_UMASK=002
CCACHE_PREFIX=distcc
DISTCC_HOSTS="localhost/6 dev"
PATH=/usr/lib/ccache:$PATH
CONCURRENCY_LEVEL="10"
DISTCC_DIR=/var/lock/distcc/$USER

HOSTS are linked through a gigabit network.

It seems the build works flawlessly for simple builds (maybe running
on localhost only? didn't check), but longer ones usually trip on the
error described above. Manually deleting the .o file and re-running
the build then works, and may or may not error out on another file
(seemingly at random).

Is there a way to disable gz somehow completely? Would that solve the issue?

--
Paul Eipper