[distcc] Having issues getting improvement with distcc/pump on ubuntu

Fergus Henderson fergus at google.com
Wed Mar 4 23:25:31 GMT 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 4:17 AM, GGPR <uselessmsgs at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Im trying to use distcc to speed up kernel compiles on my linux gateway.
>  Without it gives me a compile time of 6 hours.
>
> I currently have it set up for normal distcc but I find that a lot of the
> compiling still resides on the gateway instead of my other machines and my
> other machines are for the most part sitting idle with a compile happening
> once every 4 seconds.  This is after removing localhost from DISTCC_HOSTS
> and setting an excessive amount of jobs to each of the distcc servers by
> using /20 for each and setting --jobs 20 when running distccd on the
> servers.
>
> I tried running pump, but I get errors about magic dust.
> ***(dcc_readx) ERROR: unexpected eof on fd5
> ***(dcc_r_token_int) ERROR: read failed while waiting for token "DIST"
> ***(dcc_r_request_header) ERROR: client did not provide distcc magic fairy
> dust

Those error messages from distccd can be safely ignored.

They occur every time "lsdistcc" is run, because it connects to the distccd
server, to check that it is alive, and then immediately drops the
connection.
distccd doesn't expect that, and reports those errors.
The "pump" script runs "lsdistcc", so you can expect to see these messages
in the distccd log file for every run of "pump".
Please feel free to provide a patch to fix distcc so that it doesn't report
any errors in that case.

Your build should continue fine after those messages.  If not, something
else must be wrong... do you get any other error messages?

Also, are you using the "-j" ("--jobs") option to "make"?
--
Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com>