[distcc] Having issues getting improvement with distcc/pump on ubuntu

GGPR uselessmsgs at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 3 09:17:21 GMT 2009

Im trying to use distcc to speed up kernel compiles on my linux gateway.
  Without it gives me a compile time of 6 hours.

I currently have it set up for normal distcc but I find that a lot of
the compiling still resides on the gateway instead of my other machines
and my other machines are for the most part sitting idle with a compile
happening once every 4 seconds.  This is after removing localhost from
DISTCC_HOSTS and setting an excessive amount of jobs to each of the
distcc servers by using /20 for each and setting --jobs 20 when running
distccd on the servers.

I tried running pump, but I get errors about magic dust.
***(dcc_readx) ERROR: unexpected eof on fd5
***(dcc_r_token_int) ERROR: read failed while waiting for token "DIST"
***(dcc_r_request_header) ERROR: client did not provide distcc magic
fairy dust

Ive tried distcc with the ubuntu package, and the newest deb on distcc's
site and the source on distcc's site.

for compiling distcc source, I used gcc 4.1.

My gateway:
Dual Core 433mhz 512mb ram

My distcc servers (Identical images to each other, and all librarys,
source files, and compiliers identical to the gateway):
dual core 2ghz intel laptop 2gb ram
2.6ghz amd 2 gb ram

Network:
mix of full duplexed 100mb and gigabit on switches

What I want:
To use the power of my other machines to compile and if there is spare
cpu and its not to difficult, then the local machine can compile as well
(but whats 433mhz when you have 5ghz)

My questions:
1)Is there a better way to get distcc/pump running on ubuntu to use the
power of my other machines?
2)Am I missing something for my distcc?
3)Why is my pump not working (I don't understand the error)
4)How do I tell it to NOT compile locally

Thank you