[distcc] distcc-pump and dmucs

Fergus Henderson fergus at google.com
Thu Aug 28 18:18:59 GMT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:52 AM, <jhanley at dgtlrift.com> wrote:

> How do I use dmucs with distcc-pump, or does it even make any sense?

I've never used dmucs, nor looked at it source code.
But going from the description on the dmucs web site, that would probably
require a small patch to dmucs, I would guess,
so that it appends the ",cpp,lzo" options after the host names in
DISTCC_HOSTS.

  Is there something built into distcc-pump that will accomplish the same
> thing?  I saw that there is a distccls - is this meant as a replacement to
> dmucs?

I assume you mean "lsdistcc", not "distccls".  lsdistcc provides some put
not all of the same functionality as dmucs.
lsdistcc will detect which distcc servers are up at the start of a build,
and will use only those servers.
But it doesn't do any load balancing like dmucs does.

lsdistcc is intended to be invoked at the start of a build. In pump mode,
this will be done automatically by the pump script, if you set
DISTCC_POTENTIAL_HOSTS instead of DISTCC_HOSTS.

--
Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com>