[distcc] Proposed Enhancements/Changes

Ihar `Philips` Filipau thephilips at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 14:36:00 GMT 2008

Hi All!

Actually,  last time I was deploying distcc we had serious problems
with the newly introduced security.

Personally, I would love to hear a case why the security in distcc
(e.g. --allow) is needed at all.

Distcc normally is deployed on corporate LAN which is already behind
firewalls/etc. All the security doesn't help against possible abuses
or simply incorrect scripts polling in tight loop servers. And that's
are the problems which people are experience most often.

Authentification? Accounting?? Why? This are only toy for admins and
hurdle for people who use distcc.

It is pretty pointless to put distcc on open net nor it is a usual
deployment scenario. And even if you put distcc on open net, then you
have much severe problem with your source code flying over the net,
open to any cracker wishing to take a look inside. (*) I can't imagine
company which would ever allow it. VPN is the proper solution, from my
POV, making all the security enhancement in distcc (1) obsolete and
(2) needless hurdle for users.

(*) Or even worse case, when cracker hijacks the TCP connection and
sends back to client the object file with rogue code embedded. I would
never allow distcc on open net for the reason alone.