[distcc] Suggestion about host selection

Christophe LYON christophe.lyon at st.com
Fri Jun 20 07:48:29 GMT 2008

Hi all,

About load balancing, do you know DMUCS (http://dmucs.sourceforge.net/).

I have no particular interest in that project, expect that we are using
it heavily.

On each machine you start a 'loadavg' daemon, on the master you start
the dmucs server which collects info from loadavg.

Then, instead of calling distcc directly, you use "gethost -s master
distcc....".
In effect, gethost overrides DISTCC_HOSTS with the 'best' host value
based on load average.

You configure the dmucs master server with a list of compilation servers
along with their "cpu power". This enables ranking machines according to
your preferences, and also take the actual cpu load into account.

And you could have different sets of preferences (say day and night for
instance)

Unfortunately there seem to be some bugs in dmucs which make it unstable
under heavy load, and we need to restart it periodically. I don't have
time enough the investigate deeply, as we have a cheap workaround ;-)

Maybe it would be worth working with dmucs developers?

Christophe.