[distcc] feedback on distcc 3.0rc1?

Fergus Henderson fergus at google.com
Thu Jun 19 17:28:49 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com> wrote:

> Hi Lennart,
>
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzqvfgpp at 0pointer.de>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18.06.08 15:13, Fergus Henderson (fergus at google.com) wrote:
>> > We haven't had a lot of feedback on the public release of distcc 3.0rc1
>> yet.
>> >
>> > It would be really nice to know what you think of it...
>>
>> I am very happy my Avahi patch finally got merged.
>>
>> Though I am bit surprised that the sources I contributed (like
>> gcc-id.c) suddenly bear a Google copyright notice -- for the year
>> 2005!
>>

> Sorry about that.  That's clearly a mistake.
>
> We made some very minor changes to that file - I think the changes were
> confined to eliminating tab characters and changing a #include statement to
> use <config.h> instead of "config.h" (see <
> http://code.google.com/p/distcc/source/detail?r=148>).  When adding
> copyright notices, I think we just added them to any file that we had
> changed, without making any attempt to determine whether the changes to each
> file were substantial or not.  In most cases, there was already an existing
> copyright notice, and in those cases, we kept the existing copyright notice
> and added the Google copyright notice alongside it.  In this case there was
> no existing copyright message.  As for the date, I don't know why it was
> listed as 2005, which totally wrong.  Maybe it was a cut-and-paste error.
>
> Since the Google changes to that file were minor, I'll delete the Google
> copyright notice from that file.
> I'll also do the same for any other files in your Avahi patch.
>
> Would you like me to put "Copyright (C) 2007 Lennart Poettering" notices on
> those files?
> (And if so, is 2007 the correct year?).

Oh, one more thing... if you (or anyone else) find any other misleading or
erroneous copyright notices in distcc, could you please bring it to my
attention?

It's certainly not our intent to deny anyone credit or to claim anyone
else's code as our own.  The changes which added copyright notices were all
huge patches, containing many thousands of lines of fairly trivial diffs,
and it's very difficult to review those kinds of patches, so it's easy for
mistakes to slip through.  We will however do what we can to rectify any
such mistakes once we notice them.

--
Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com>