[distcc] announcing distcc 3.0 release candidate 1

Fergus Henderson fergus at google.com
Tue Jun 10 05:31:09 GMT 2008

We're very happy to announce the release of distcc 3.0-rc1. The release
candidate is available at <http://distcc.googlecode.com>. This is the first
new release of distcc since the 2.18.3 release in 2004.

Distcc 3.0 contains many contributions and bug fixes contributed by various
people since the previous release. <http://2.18.3./>

Distcc 3.0 also contains a major new feature: distcc-pump mode. Previously,
distcc would do C/C++ preprocessing locally, and then send the preprocessed
output to the distributed compilation servers.  But with version 3.0, distcc
is now able to distribute preprocessing too, not just compilation.  The set
of files to be sent to the servers is calculated through an incremental
static analysis algorithm.  As a result distcc 3.0 can be up to three times
faster than earlier versions of distcc.

Pump mode was developed at Google by Nils Klarlund, Manos Renieris, Fergus
Henderson, and Craig Silverstein with help from Dan Kegel, Dave Nagle,
Arthur Hyun, Nick Sakharov, and others.

We hope this release will spur further improvements to distcc so that it
becomes faster and even more useful.

Please send feedback on this release candidate to <distcc at lists.samba.org>,
and report issues at <http://code.google.com/p/distcc/issues/list>.

Enjoy!

Regards,
  Fergus Henderson (maintainer) and the distcc team at Google.

--
Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com>