[distcc] Re: new distcc maintainer: Fergus Henderson

Fergus Henderson fergus at google.com
Fri Jun 6 03:47:25 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:

> I haven't been able to put as much time into distcc in the last couple
> of years as I would have liked or as it deserved.
>
> Fergus Henderson has volunteered to become the new maintainer, and I'm
> handing over to him now.  Fergus should have time to review,
> integrate, and release much of the work done by the community.  I know
> both Google and Apple have done some substantial work to further
> increase performance and I hope it will all be integrated back into a
> main open source release.  There's still many interesting things to be
> done here, in getting more efficient builds, easier setup and
> management and perhaps extending the scope beyond just C/C++
> compilation, and I'll continue to watch distcc with considerable
> interest.

Thank you very much, Martin.

Your achievements in developing distcc have been absolutely outstanding.
You have produced an extremely useful and practical tool, that has been a
major benefit to a huge number of programmers.  You have helped to extend
the very frontiers of software engineering, by producing a tool that
actually increases the scale of the projects that we can feasibly tackle.
You have developed a real community around distcc and over the years you
have done a fabulous job of helping users, advising developers, collecting
and integrating patches, adding your own improvements, and making releases.
Your service to the community has been tremendous, and sustained for many
years.  Thank you!

I know that I have big shoes to fill.  I will do my best as maintainer to
continue to develop and improve distcc for the benefit of the whole
community.  I hope that I can live up to the fine example that you have set
in developing distcc to this point.
--
Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com>