[distcc] FreeBSD help anyone? Libpopt.so.0 not found.

David Fang fang at csl.cornell.edu
Fri May 4 02:54:01 GMT 2007

> > I have two FreeBSD machines on which I've installed distcc, but when
> > I reboot, I get an error message that libexec ld.elf can't locate
> > shared object libpopt.so.0, and so distccd can't be started.
> >
> > Libpopt.so.0 is in /usr/local/lib, but how do I get distcc to
> > recognize it so that the daemon starts successfully? This is the 6.2
> > release of FreeBSD.
> >
> > I'm quite new to distcc so even the slightest suggestion is not too
> > trivial for me.
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> This isn't really a distcc specific problem, but I don't mind trying
> to help.  It's not distcc that needs to find it but rather the dynamic
> linker.  The way libraries are located is complex and varies between
> platforms but basically it can be found by either searching a path or
> by the location being linked into the program.
>
> If when you built distcc the library was in that location then it out
> to be able to find it at runtime too.
>
> So can you tell me more about how you built and installed libpopt and distcc?

Hi,
	It *shouldn't* be necessary, but have you tried to setenv your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib?  That needs to be set for some
non-standard path installs for ld.so.

David Fang
Computer Systems Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Cornell University
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
	-- (2400 baud? Netscape 3.0?? lynx??? No problem!)