[distcc] FreeBSD help anyone? Libpopt.so.0 not found.

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu May 3 01:37:00 GMT 2007

On 5/3/07, futuristick <futuristick at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have two FreeBSD machines on which I've installed distcc, but when
> I reboot, I get an error message that libexec ld.elf can't locate
> shared object libpopt.so.0, and so distccd can't be started.
>
> Libpopt.so.0 is in /usr/local/lib, but how do I get distcc to
> recognize it so that the daemon starts successfully? This is the 6.2
> release of FreeBSD.
>
> I'm quite new to distcc so even the slightest suggestion is not too
> trivial for me.

Hi Doug,

This isn't really a distcc specific problem, but I don't mind trying
to help.  It's not distcc that needs to find it but rather the dynamic
linker.  The way libraries are located is complex and varies between
platforms but basically it can be found by either searching a path or
by the location being linked into the program.

If when you built distcc the library was in that location then it out
to be able to find it at runtime too.

So can you tell me more about how you built and installed libpopt and distcc?