[distcc] mkdir /root/.distcc failed: Permission denied

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Sat Mar 18 08:26:54 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'm an Austrian writer living in Montpezat (South France), and an enthusiastic
100% GNU/Linux user since 2001. I use Slackware Linux exclusively, and I'm
very happy with it.

I'm currently busy building KDE 3.5.1 from source, to integrate
dbus/hal/pmount support, and also to tweak it a little bit, leave redundant
apps out, modify compile options here and there. Unfortunately, KDE is a bear
to build. One of the guys on alt.os.linux.slackware pointed out distcc, which
I hadn't heard of, and I have a sixth sense that this will change my life. I
have four Pentium IV PCs here at home, so the idea to combine processor power
sounds very appealing.

A first manual try-run (Mplayer, Qt) was *very* conclusive. Installed distcc
on three machines, started the daemon manually, and yessssssss: compile time
for Qt went down from 73 to 26 minutes!

Since programs like Qt can only be built as root, I run make as root... there,
I get the following error message:

ERROR: mkdir /root/.distcc failed: Permission denied

I figure this is because distccd runs as user nobody (I explicitly told it to
do so).

Q1: what user should distccd be run as ideally? I tried --user root, but he
didn't like it and exited.

Q2: to have a readable log file, I told distccd to output to /var/log/distccd,
and then chown nobody.nobody /var/log/distccd. What's the orthodox way to
solve my permission problem above? Manually create /root/.distcc, and then
chown -R nobody.nobody for that directory? And if so, do I have to do this on
all the server machines, or only on the client?

Go easy in your explanations. I'm a writer, not a developer.

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs