[distcc] Re: detecting architecture of DISTCC HOSTS ?

Andrew Gaffney agaffney at gentoo.org
Mon Feb 20 13:16:15 GMT 2006

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> See this patch, also on
>
>   http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen/public/software/distcc-substitute.patch
>
> For example
>
>   DISTCC_SUBSTITUTE_GXX='i686-linux-g++' distcc
>
> will remotely invoke i686-linux-g++ when g++ is run locally.
>
> This is useful as cross-building some packages require both a native
> gcc and a cross-compiling gcc to be present.  Setting
> DISTCC_SUBSTITUTE_GCC= allows the native compiler invocations to be
> distcc'd to different machine types as well.

I came up with a method for doing cross-compiling with distcc in Gentoo. It can
be used in other distributions easily enough. It just involves a simple wrapper
script and a few symlinks in /usr/lib/distcc/bin. Basically, it takes calls to
the "short" compiler names and translates them into calls to the "full" compiler
name, so that there is no ambiguity on the helper box when the job is distributed.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml

--
Andrew Gaffney                            http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer                                   Installer Project