[distcc] distcc, cross-compilers & packages that ignore CC/CXX... what's the _right_ way?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Jan 24 13:57:42 GMT 2006

On 1/23/06, Stuart Longland <redhatter at gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I still try to fix 'em right and make the patches available.
>
> Yeah... while this should be the ultimate solution, sometimes this isn't
> practical.  Maintaining a patch against the build system because a
> hostile upstream doesn't want to include it is no fun.

True, but you didn't mention the possibility of fixing
upstream in your list; you should do that when the upstream
maintainer is not hostile.  Agreed?  Many hands make light work.

> It also doesn't work for 3rd party packages, which is why I'm looking
> for another solution.

What's a 3rd party package in this context?  Aren't all packages 3rd
party, kind of?

To answer your question, I would use a client-side wrapper around gcc et al.
Setting up another distcc server is way overkill, I think.
- Dan