[distcc] distcc, cross-compilers & packages that ignore CC/CXX... what's the _right_ way?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Jan 24 03:21:31 GMT 2006

On 1/23/06, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney at gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Fix the broken packages and send the fixes upstream.
> > That's what I do.
>
> And for dead, slow, incompetent, or otherwise uncooperative upstreams? I don't
> think that's what he had in mind.

I still try to fix 'em right and make the patches available.

I know what you mean, though.  Python, for instance,
is incredibly difficult to cross-compile, partly because
they ditched autoconf and replaced it with a setup script
written in Python that had to be executed by the same Python
you're trying to build.   That knot took me a month to unsnarl.
Fortunately, Guido works near me, I think I can shame him
into fixing that...
- Dan