[distcc] Loadbalanced distcc

Victor Norman vtnpgh at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 14:20:20 GMT 2006

Martin,

Yes, I tried to use scons, but it wasn't ready for primetime when I tried it.  I did get one of our software branches to compile with it, but it was pretty slow.  I think they've addressed some of that slowness already.

I'm really waiting for scons to go to 1.0 before I jump in there.  But, they seem to be stuck at 0.97 now for about a year...

Vic

Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote: On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 18:50 -0500, Sean D'Epagnier wrote:
> On 1/5/06, Victor Norman  wrote:
>         Sean, et al.,
>
>         You do seem to understand my system correctly: dmucs is a
>         wrapper around distcc which is a wrapper around gcc.
>
>         Note that we here at marconi use pcons, not make to build our
>         tree.  pcons is smarter than make because it calculates the
>         entire tree of build dependencies before beginning to compile
>         even the first file.  So, it can know which things to do in
>         which order.  Now, in my opinion, pcons isn't quite smart
>         enough, because it doesn't parallelize compiles across
>         multiple directories -- that would REALLY speed up the
>         compile, I think.

SCons can parallelize across directories in a very nice way, by building
a dependency graph for the whole project first.  It gets quite good use
out of distcc, thought perhaps it could be better by understanding that
compilation can be parallelized more than other tasks.

You might be able to build something good on top of gnu make's debug
option to dump out the dependency tree, but I think most Makefiles won't
have detailed correct dependencies between directories.

__