[distcc] Re: benchmark linux-2.4.20

Dongmin Zhang zhangdm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 21:28:09 GMT 2005

Hello,

To make my question more clear, I'd like to rephrase my question.

I'm trying to benchmark distcc using the benchmark.py script that
ships with distcc-2.18.3.
The command
  ./benchmark.py --compiler="dist,8" linux-2.4
is supposed to time how long it takes to build the 2.4 linux kernel
with -j8 and distcc,
but instead it fails with the error
  make: *** No rule to make target `defconfig'.  Stop.
But the 2.4 kernel doesn't have a 'defconfig' target in Makefile; this
is a 2.6 thing.
Did this ever work?
Perhaps the 2.4 kernel benchmark should just be removed from
bench/benchmark.py.

Thanks,
Dongmin